GPS, anyone?

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:59:35 -0400

Ron,

I did a bunch of research on this on the web, and concluded that the plugin
units for Pocket PCs weren't very good.  By the time you add an external
antenna, extra battery pack, and so on, you've taken away the portability of
your basic device.

I bought a Garmin GPSMAP 60C, and I love it.  I only wish I'd bought it much
sooner!  It's about $500, with the MapSource data that you'll want with it.
It's not the best auto unit, but I knew I'd be getting rid of the car soon
to come to Boston, so I went with it.  In the car, a bigger screen helps,
and since you always have a power source, you can afford one.

I found plenty of errors in the map data in West Virginia (I'm probably the
only one reporting them), but you *always* know where you are (unless you're
in a tunnel).  You can mark your current location (and even track your
route), and exchange that data both ways with the PC.  The PC software lets
you place markers on its map, so you can see where all your customers are,
making scheduling much easier.  Plus, you can have it calculate a route, so
you'll know much better how long it will take to get from point A to that
elusive B.

The database is very extensive: it has addresses and phone numbers for
restaurants, gas stations, all kinds of private and government entities.
You can ask it to map any street address, and then navigate there from your
current location.  Or you can find the nearest gas station or other business
from a given point.  Here's a sample:
http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynav.jsp#screens

The same data is available for use on different hardware platforms.  There's
a new one coming out called "Tom Tom To Go" or something like that, with a
lot of buzz around it.

--Cy Shuster--
Boston, MA