soft, bass trill regulation, was: Question for tuner/techs whoplay.

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:59:45 -0500

Interesting question ....

What my brain conjurs is ...

Nice strong rep spring to hold the hammer/lever regulated for as quick a
rise as possible without overshooting the letoff point or bouncing
Not excessively heavy hammers—maybe shanks, tails, and coves shaved
Backchecks for sure not brushing on the upstroke and, hopefully, hammers
not even thinking about checking on a pianissimo trill
Minimum letoff (but with no danger of a bounce strike)
Minimum drop and carefully set jack height so the knuckly only gets the
most shy and demure little kiss from the jack
A little Teflon flung willy-nilly (or maybe judiciously, whatever that
means)
No excessive friction in action centers and  rail pins
Strong, supple fingers (do you have to use fingers 4 and 5 or can you 2 & 3
it?)
Lotsa drill and exercise

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri