soft, bass trill regulation, was: Question for tuner/techs who play.

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:53:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Barbara,

I don't play Schubert's Sonata in B flat, but I did
have a similar problem with a Chopin prelude.  No
matter how gently I tried, that one note went off like
a shotgun!  The piano barked.  It drove me crazy.  It
only happened on my own piano.

It turned out that the action center was too loose.
Once the hammer was moving, there was nothing to
moderate the speed.

Some time ago, we had heated debates here about the
optimum friction in action centers.  My experience
convinced me that some friction is required for
control on ppp.

It was a great way to develop a good touch though,
even if it drove me nuts!

Vladan

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs