Question for tuner/techs who play.

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:59:51 EDT

In a message dated 8/29/05 2:49:17 PM, jodel@kairos.net writes:

> not something so showy as to intimidate the client (still want their=20
> opinion, right?).=A0 What do you think?
>=20

I can't not intimidate them.   Even playing simple pieces, technique shows=20
through with phrasing, voicing, dynamics, etc.   No one has ever sat down an=
d=20
played the piano after I test it.   Ever.   They all refuse.  =20

Whaddayagonnado?

I don't play showy, arpeggio-ey things, either.   Mozart Sonata in G, 2nd=20
movement; Chopin Etude in Eb Major; Chopin Waltz in C# minor; and the intro=20=
to=20
"Falling" from "THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG", by Marvin Hamlisch   (I play it=20
chromatically up from the original key of D to F, testing the top octaves/un=
isons).

Other than showing the client how good their piano can sound, I'm primarily=20
listening to unisons.   Unisons are the only interval the consumer/pianist c=
an=20
detect when it's out.   Between those first three pieces, I can hear=20
melodically, every note between middle C and A5.  =20

Tom Sivak
Chicago