soft, bass trill regulation

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:06:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Barbara,

There is an adjustment that I think will affect the
ability to get a sound out even with the lightest
touch.  That's the position of the jack telative to
the knuckle core.  (I am talking about the adjustment
where you line up the edge of the knuckle core with
the edge of the jack.)  If the jack is adjusted so
that it doesn't reach too far behind the knuckle, one
might think that this will aid a fast reset for a
repeat.  If on the other hand, the jack rests further
behind the  knuckle core, one will get a better
ability to sound a very soft note.  The two are in
conflict, so a fast ppp  repeat is a compromise.
Maybe it's a good idea to actually try the range of
this adjustment and find a best spot instead of just
doing it by the book.  Let me know what you think!

Vladan

===========================
Glad to see your response, Vladan.  That's
interesting, I'm going to
remember that one.

I'm trying to think of what miniscule adjustment would
make the action not
repeat or speak as wanted at pp, yet still repeats
well at a louder level
(well I assume it did at a higher level. Mr. Bill?).
My original thought
was there must be too much friction somewhere.  Then I
thought of the effect
of the dampers if the artist happened to be
"half-pedaling," which could
easily be the case in trying to control the volume
down there.  OR, if some
small point in regulation wasn't the problem, could it
be something like
leverage, etc. or, of course, the pianist trying to go
beyond the limits the
piano.  Ah, the possibilities.

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond