Question for tuner/techs who play.

FRANCES HELMS fhelms@topeka.k12.ks.us
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:25:46 -0500

I have found that young children are sometimes delighted to play after I tune.  Not the best way to check or show off a tuning, but they enjoy it.  They're usually more likely to do so if I ask them before, not after I play.
Their parents enjoy the opportunity to show the kids talents.
Fran Helms,
Piano Technician,
Topeka, KS

In a message dated 8/29/05 2:49:17 PM, jodel@kairos.net writes:

> not something so showy as to intimidate the client (still want their
> opinion, right?).  What do you think?

I can't not intimidate them.   Even playing simple pieces, technique shows
through with phrasing, voicing, dynamics, etc.   No one has ever sat down and
played the piano after I test it.   Ever.   They all refuse.

Whaddayagonnado?

I don't play showy, arpeggio-ey things, either.   Mozart Sonata in G, 2nd
movement; Chopin Etude in Eb Major; Chopin Waltz in C# minor; and the intro to
"Falling" from "THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG", by Marvin Hamlisch   (I play it
chromatically up from the original key of D to F, testing the top octaves/unisons).

Other than showing the client how good their piano can sound, I'm primarily
listening to unisons.   Unisons are the only interval the consumer/pianist can
detect when it's out.   Between those first three pieces, I can hear
melodically, every note between middle C and A5.

Tom Sivak
Chicago