A good tuning fork?

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:39:48 EDT

=20
Thanks to all for the good advice on heating, cooling, and crotch-filing =20
one's fork. =20
=20
Dave Stahl
=20
In a message dated 8/30/05 8:14:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time, =20
emailforjc@yahoo.com writes:

Dave,=20
I use the John Walker  nickel plated fork =E2=80=93 Schaff # 2106, page 32.=20=
I think=20
Pianotek has the same  one. It=E2=80=99s $34, but it is loud and pure with a=
 long=20
sustain. Well worth the  extra money.=20
It still needed  calibration when I got it. I downloaded Tunelab to my=20
desktop, and calibrated  the PC=E2=80=99s oscillator to the National atomic=20=
clock in Denver.=20
Tunelab has the  instructions. Then I calibrated the fork to Tunelab. I=20
calibrated the fork at  a temperature somewhat above room temperature, by wa=
rming=20
it with my hand. I  wanted it above room temperature, because in the summer,=
 if=20
by bag has been in  a hot car, the fork will still be at a reasonable pitch.=
=20
In the cold whether,  it=E2=80=99s easy to raise the temperature, but not as=
 easy to=20
lower it.  =20
Of course every fork  changes with temperature, but this one changes much=20
less than the small blued  fork I was previously using. And the tone quality=
 is=20
in a different league. I  don=E2=80=99t know of any other high quality compa=
ct forks.=20
Jerry Cohen,  RPT=20
NJ  Chapter=20
=20
List,
=20

=20
I  would like to get a tuning fork that's actually at 440, not flat or =20
sharp.  Any recommendations for something that fluctuates a little less  wit=
h=20
temperature?
=20

=20