PTG Website

Israel Stein custos3@comcast.net
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:38:28 -0700

At 05:17 PM 6/30/2005, Greg Newell <gnewell@ameritech.net>
  wrote:
>Avery,
>         I too believe that I would not have too much of a problem passing
> the tests. Thanks for the vote of confidence though. This is not the
> point. If the search if done to find members then all members should be
> listed either with or without a designation, I don't care. If the search
> was done to find only RPT members then only RPT's should show up. Why is
> this so difficult?
>
>Greg Newell

And gee, why would someone want to do a search for "members"? One of two
reasons:

1. Because they want to sell us something. In which case the membership
list is an asset to be sold - not something to be given away. Which is why
it should not be available to the public on an open search.  You will find
that for this reason many membership organizations do not publish their
membership lists on their websites, but will sell it to selected buyers
(with member opt-outs, of course...).

2. Because they are looking for a professional. Which means that
publication of a membership list of a professional organization to the
public is a tacit endorsement of their competence. The PTG cannot make such
an endorsement for members who choose to not demonstrate their
qualifications in an objective, legally sanctioned manner - such as the RPT
exams. You will find that organizations that do make their entire
membership lists available to the public typically have stringent entrance
requirements - such as an appropriate degree or an exam - so if you don't
know what you are doing, you don't get in.

The PTG policy of making available to the public only the names of those
who demonstrated their professional qualifications is fully consistent with
accepted practice and with the law. If you want to be presented to the
public as a professional - then please demonstrate your qualifications in
an objective manner. And if you are concerned about public access to the
entire membership list - I'm sure the PTG would be willing to work out a
policy about making the list available to telemarketers at an appropriate
price (with an opt-out provision, of course).

Israel Stein