Are uprights with una corda pedal being made nowadays?

peter sharp pasharpie2@yahoo.com.au
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 15:32:45 +1000 (EST)

maybe i can clarify: the original una corda meant one
string. in Beethoven's piano (maybe the Broadwood?)the
hammer struck just one of the 3 strings- not 2, as in
the later "una corda" shifts. So when Beethoven wrote
una corda in his piano scores, he really meant it:
real soft with one string only. Apparently the hammers
were narrower than today's, hence more room for
shifting. See Charles Rosen's elegant view of this
history. I borrow his knowledge.