A real West Virginia piano

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 01 Jul 2005 12:39:15 -0500

> At first, I thought this black, powdery stuff was mold -- but there was
> no rust on the strings, and it was only on the tops of the hammers.
>
> As I dared to touch it, a train went rumbling by (100 yards or more
> away), and the light bulb came on: very fine coal dust!  Finally, an
> environment that is *beneficial* to a piano!  :-)
>
> --Cy Shuster--

Nope, sorry, not coal. That's a Baldwin, and that black powder is
from the black material they used for that (visible) butt and
catcher material before (I think) Corfam. I've not found anyone who
knows what that stuff was, but it's sticky now, and disintegrates to
equally sticky dust as the years roll by. I think there was a
strange gray material used briefly somewhere in there too, before
Ecsaine came along.

Ron N