Unstable regulation

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 17:10:06 -0700

Expanding action brackets.  Classic symptoms.  Get the action out before
they swell so much that the drop screws start dragging on the block.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of greg hollister
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2005 4:13 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Unstable regulation

I have been tuning a mid-sized Young Chang grand for a
serious client for several years now. Each time I go
to tune it I find the hammers blocking at the strings.
I'll turn down the let-off dowels to some degree of
let-off to get me through the tuning. But each year I
hammers are blocking again.  I want to regulate this
piano as it should be but I am concerned that I will
be frustrated by whatever it is that causes the return
of this blocking condition.
Does this sound familiar to anyone? Could this be a
loose let-off rail? I have marked the capstans to see
if they were turning on their own and they don't
appear to be.