Breaking Paps wedges

Robin Stevens pianoman@westnet.com.au
Sat, 2 Jul 2005 15:31:34 +0930 (Cen. Australia Standard Time)

 Susan...I find that after many tunings they get thinner and thinner at t=
he
narrowest part of the tip. What happens with a very thin Paps wedge is if
you hit a string directly, rather than between two strings they will brea=
k.
My thinnest wedge at the moment is .074 thou at the narrowest point of th=
tip, while a new wedge is .101 thou.=0D
I would expect a wedge to last me about 5 years, although I must admit, m=
being careless is the cause of them breaking.=0D
=0D
When I first started tuning (1960) all the wedges were made out of a hard
wood of some sort. An old tuner gave me a wedge made out of Rose wood whi=
ch
I keep, but not use, being a relic of the past.=0D
=0D
Robin=0D
=0D
=0D