re-stringing and CA

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sat, 2 Jul 2005 10:11:05 -0500

Moisture causes CA glue to set up. I think what is happening is that
doped blocks have more residual moisture causing the CA to set up
faster, giving higher torque readings in a shorter time period.

My personal opinion (formed mostly through anecdotal evidence) is that
CA works just as well in non doped blocks but it may take several days,
perhaps even weeks or months, for the CA to fully set. I see this as a
plus as it means deeper penetration into the wood.

My theory is the CA swells the wood and this is what causes the
increased torque. (any actual bond to the pin is broken the first time
it is turned) The cellular structure acts as a matrix that the CA
supports after it sets.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Michael Gamble
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2005 10:03 AM
To: A440A@aol.com; pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: re-stringing and CA

Yes, Ed, but taking things to their logical conclusion there has to be a

limit on how large a size you can use. I started this thread with the
view
of getting ideas from y'all on the use of CA in conjunction with "same
size"
pins. :-)
As a by-product of this thread, someone on the List said (some while
back)
that to use CA on a block which had already had been doped gave even
greater
torque than in a block which had not been doped....?
Regards from a windy Village in the Sussex Downs
Michael G.(UK)