Predictability and Change. Was RE: Franz Mohr

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 22:34:12 -0400

Hi David,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I definitely agree with what you're =20
saying - more often than not people become comfortable with what =20
they're used to and resist changing from that - of course that can =20
always work in reverse, if one is used to the "new" piano designs =20
going back to "old" may just be a simple case of resisting change :-)

Though I think many performing pianists are used to a variety of =20
pianos with differing sounds - good and bad. It's hard to dismiss a =20
pianists' opinion on a newly designed piano solely on this basis (not =20=

that you are). Personally, had I not known there was anything =20
different about the piano in the Overs' recording I would have just =20
thought "Oh, what a nice piano", not "Behold the saviour of stagnant =20
piano design".

In the case I was bringing up - my favourite piano recording vs. the =20
Overs recording - I have had surprisingly little experience with =20
Steinways compared to other pianos and I *loved* the quality of that =20
piano long before I knew it was a Steinway. I only bought my Steinway =20=

a year ago, and previously was practising on mostly Baldwins for 8 =20
years prior.

Something occurred to me though today when considering the re-working =20=

of instruments to use new designs. Many pianists who own an ageing =20
instrument or problematic one are delighted when work is done to =20
restore the tone. Is it not possible that the delight of the =20
customers you guys do work for are perhaps delighted because of the =20
quality of work you guys to the piano in general, rather than the =20
changes themselves? Even a properly prepped piano can have a big =20
impact on someone used to non-prepped or poorly functioning pianos. =20
Also, plenty of people are ecstatic to get their old Steinway rebuilt =20=

from the factory, to probably what is less quality in workmanship and =20=

parts than what their pianos were when new.

- John