Predictability and Change. Was RE: Franz Mohr

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 22:56:30 -0700

I was thinking mostly about the balance between power, sustain and tonal
range.  The trend seems to be moving in the direction of power, =
loudness,
attack, whatever you want to call it.  For those who wish to move the
balance back to one of more sustain with a natural dynamic range =
somewhat
lower on the scale, that trend=97and what people have gotten used =
to=97makes it
difficult to put the piano back in pianoforte.  Many instruments now are
just fortes and if they don=92t produce that kind of sound, many people =
are
disappointed because that=92s what they=92ve grown accustomed to =
hearing. =20

=20

A broader tonal palette might, ironically, mean a reduction in loudness. =
=20

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20