Steinway Backchecks

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 2 Jul 2005 08:43:17 -0700

Ron N said: "Backchecks, Joe. Ain't you paying attention? Toray makes a =
1.85mm=20
thickness specifically for piano use, but it doesn't seem to be=20
available anywhere in this country in less than multiple lifetime=20
usage quantities. I thought a supplier might be in a position to=20
buy a minimum quantity and sell it in smaller acreage lots to us.=20
I'm in the market."

Ron N,
Yeah, I'm kinda paying attention.<G> Just liking to know your use. Would =
you consider Escaine better than Leather? If so, why? Just wondering if =
checking is more/less consistant......etc.? I'm not a big fan of =
"synthetics", although the escaine used for capping beater hammers or =
the original use: capping worn CP70-80 hammers, is acceptable. Since =
this stuff hasn't been around for a great time, just wondering what it's =
going to do 10-20-30 years down the road.
Personally, I wish we could get some of the great leather of the past =
century. (But, of course, that's not possible, since most of that "great =
leather" was processed with unacceptable chemicals, such as Chromium and =
is no longer available, in any form. [sigh])
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I