Steinway Backchecks

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:36:11 -0500

> Ron N,
> Yeah, I'm kinda paying attention.<G> Just liking to know your use. Would
> you consider Escaine better than Leather? If so, why? Just wondering if
> checking is more/less consistant......etc.?

I do consider it better. It comes in rectangular sheets, rather than
amorphous skins like leather, so there's little waste in cutting it
to size. It's absolutely uniform in thickness, stiffness, and
texture from batch to batch, unlike leather, and though it does have
a grain of sorts, it's not nearly as obvious as leather's, and can
be generally ignored. Leather stretches very little in one
direction, and often a whole lot at right angles to that direction.
Ecsaine is similarly slightly stretchy in all directions, and
doesn't neck down as stretched like leather. It has a resistance to
packing and abrasion that is at least as good as leather. Water
doesn't bother Ecsaine. It just dries out afterward without getting
stiff. Not that this is typically a factor in piano work, but it
certainly has been a time or two. In performance on piano parts, it
is pretty much indistinguishable from leather except it's more
porous, which is why I'd not recommend it for player work. In all, I
like the stuff a lot. The only drawback I've found is that it's hard
to chop to size with a guillotine. The microfiber composition seems
to leave enough microfibers uncut by the blade, to fight back when
you try to separate pieces.

>I'm not a big fan of
> "synthetics", although the escaine used for capping beater hammers or
> the original use: capping worn CP70-80 hammers, is acceptable. Since
> this stuff hasn't been around for a great time, just wondering what it's
> going to do 10-20-30 years down the road.

Seems to me, it's been used in pianos for 20 years or so already,
and is widely used in shoes and upholstery today as well. This seems
to be an A-team material, rather than just another high risk
synthetic pretender.

Six or seven years ago, we went to an annual Cessna (aircraft)
surplus sale. We bought a few big rolls of Ecsaine cheap, and used
most of it as curtains in our living room. Cheap curtains from a
normally quite expensive stuff that looks like deer skin. I was
showing one of the rolls to a friend, and he asked if it was real
leather. "Sure is", I said, "From a 50 foot long cow". He got it
right away.

> Personally, I wish we could get some of the great leather of the past
> century. (But, of course, that's not possible, since most of that "great
> leather" was processed with unacceptable chemicals, such as Chromium and
> is no longer available, in any form. [sigh])
> Regards,
> Joe Garrett, R.P.T.

The more reason to look realistically at something like Ecsaine. Who
knows? If it becomes a de facto standard material in our industry,
people might even eventually learn to spell the name.

Ron N