re-stringing and CA

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 2 Jul 2005 16:41:56 EDT

Dean writes:

<< Moisture causes CA glue to set up. I think what is happening is that
doped blocks have more residual moisture causing the CA to set up
faster, giving higher torque readings in a shorter time period. <<

   The moisture required to form the acid which breaks the bonds in the CA
solution is measured in a few parts per million.  Any block will have sufficient
moisture to cause the bonding action.

>>My theory is the CA swells the wood and this is what causes the
increased torque. (any actual bond to the pin is broken the first time
it is turned) The cellular structure acts as a matrix that the CA
supports after it sets.  >>

Perhaps, however,  I had always attributed the CA action in blocks to the
increase of surface area,(at the molecular level) of the friction surface.  I
don't think there is much swelling action going on in the block. To test, use a
micrometer on a hammer shank,  then wet the shank with CA.  After it dries,
remeasure and I think you will find there is virtually no difference in
dimension.
REgards,

Ed Foote RPT