Square

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 2 Jul 2005 22:02:27 -0700

Don Price asked: "I guess one thing I do need to know is about pitch.  =
Should it be set at=20
something less than A440?  20 cents lower, or 50 cents?  Or some other=20
amount?"

Don P,
It depends.<G> Most were designed for a lesser pitch of 435cps, if made =
after 1875 or so. Most Steinways, Chickerings, Mathushecks, Mason & =
Hamlins, Webers, are quite capable of sustaining 440. HOWEVER!, the =
first thing you MUST DO, is check for "cheek lift". It the piano has it, =
tune it 100cents flat and be done with it. When tuning at a lower pitch, =
be aware that all of the friction/torque/jamming is less and therefore =
the piano will not stay in tune as well as if it were tuned to it's =
"designed" pitch. To find out it's designed pitch, refer to Helmholz. =
Pianos made before 1875 had designed pitch all over the map, so be =
cautious. For Square Pianos, I prefer to tune them at 425cps. This is =
generally a safe pitch and is/was the median pitch of that period in the =
U.S. & U.K.
If you need more info, please feel free to call me.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I