Square

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 2 Jul 2005 21:47:18 -0700

Hmmmm? Most of the advice, I've been reading, regarding how to approach =
a square grand tuning, is completely B.S., IMO!!!
1. Remove the damned lid and place it out of the way! There's a trick to =
doing this w/o bugging up your back.
2. When a square grand has oblong pins, there are two systems of tuning =
hammer/tips that can be used. a. Use a "Y" tip that has oblong tips at =
right angles to each other. b. Use a standard oblong tip that has =
"converter" attached, so that you can use your standard tuning =
hammer/tip combination. "b" is a bit trickier, but is doable
3. Do NOT take the dampers off! Remove only the damper upstop rail. =
Trying to tune any piano with all of the strings vibrating is simply an =
exercise in futility.
4. Use a standard Tip and Standard tuning hammer. DO NOT EXTENDED the =
damned thing! If you do, your accuracy will suffer greatly and add to =
your frustration. Note: If you are not, at least, 5' 8"....OR over =
6'2"...Do NOT do squares! (Unless you have a STRONG back and a weak =
mind. In which case, you should be a MOVER, not a Tuner!<G>)
4. You can "Whomp" the key(s) just as hard as you would with a modern =
piano. The only difference is that you can not do a "double strike" w/o =
taking your finger completely off of the key. (period!)
5. DO NOT ATTEMPT to improve the damping!!!!!! It's designed to have =
"over-ring" and anything you do to get rid of that is another exercise =
in futility. (this is the one area that most toooners screw up a Square =
Grand most! grrrrr!)
6. If you have to remove the action, USE THE HANDLE!!!! Never grab the =
ends to pull the action!!! (Unless you like fixing broken =
hammers/shanks/butts!!!<G>
7. You MUST have lost motion, just like in spinets!
8. If the hammers seem loose, in their pinning, DO NOT REPIN, unless the =
bushing is totally trash. Simply adjust the screw, on the flange to the =
proper amount of friction. (Two bounces on the rest rail, is about =
right. Lift the hammer to the strike point and let fall. The hammer =
should bounce twice.<G>)
9. When reinserting the action, play every note to allow the damper lift =
wires to settle back on the lift felt/leather. ALWAYS DO THIS!!!
10. DO charge double your regular tuning rate
11. Do take numerous breaks and do some "stretching/flexing exercises". =
(I've had a bad back, most of my life and I don't have any problems with =
my back because of tuning a Square Grand. (Period)
I hope this helps those who are nice enough to attempt tuning these =
beasties. "Even People 'Who Have Square Grands Deserve Good Service". (A =
quote from one of PTG's greats: Emil Fries. I have taken that sage =
advice and used it for over thirty years!<G>)
For the rest of you NaySayers I say phutzzzzz and anyone can tune a =
modern piano....it takes an advanced tuner to do a Square Grand!<G> =
phutzzzzzz!
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police