Rosewood Papps wedge

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Sat, 02 Jul 2005 23:47:08 -0700

--=====================_4461913==_.ALT
Well, Robin, that's fun. Maybe some epoxy and a little teensy spline of
some kind?

Better to take its measurements and make another?

Might it be that rosewood is too oily for hide glue? I hadn't heard of that
problem before.

I wonder what material my old ones are made of? Nylon, perhaps?

Susan

At 05:32 PM 7/2/2005 +0930, you wrote:
>Susan..the old tuner gave it to me because it was broken, and, according
>to him Rosewood could not be glued up with hide glue which I think was the
>only glue available in those days. What I did was to drill two 1/32 inch
>holes and wire it together. but as to see the wire has come undone. With
>the many glues available today I am sure it can be glued . Can someone
>verify that Rosewood cannot be glued with Hide glue?
>
>If you look at a Papps wedge closely it would take some fine wood
>working  skills to duplicate one. Maybe one of our expert sound board
>makers could make a few. I agree the new blue wedges are a poor substitute
>for the wooden ones.
>With the new plastic wedges I always file the edges so the corners are
>round...easier on the fingers b_wink.gif
>
>Regards
>Robin

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...