Energy

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 04 Jul 2005 11:59:53 -0500

Seriously,
When it comes to energy savings, homes are much bigger sources of air
pollution than cars are.  Switching to vinyl or wood (metal clad too)
windows with energy glass (only costs a few bucks more a window now) helps
a whole lot.  Spraying a radiant barrier on the underside of the roof in
hot climates (reduces heat transmission by 60%) is even more effective than
getting hit up by the car dealership.
Above all do not put those new fluorescent bulbs everywhere.  That is one
of the biggest scams going.  They use as much energy in the split second
the ballast gets the light going as a comparable incandescent does in ~two
& a half hours.  They don't belong in closets, bathrooms,
little-used-bedrooms etc.  Use them only where they are left on at least
three hours a day (break even point for savings).
LED lights are coming out now for the more masochistic among us.   They
actually do use much less energy.  They last indefinitely but you will have
to balance that against size and relative brightness, or should I say,
dimness; as well as the steep price of entry.
Gas powered lawn tools are real pigs about air pollution.  My wife and I
use an electric whip trimmer (power plants are more efficient) and a push
mower (they used to make those better than they now do).

By all means, save as much energy as you can, just be smart about where you
can be most effective.
Andrew