Tuning Wedges

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Mon, 4 Jul 2005 14:59:01 -0500

Here's my set of grand tuning mutes. One pair is glued together at =20
the wide end, offset a bit at the narrow end, making a great split =20
mute. These are the only grand mutes I've used for several years.

For verticals I have two wire mutes tethered together (prevents =20
losing them behind the action), made from Pianotek wire handled =20
mutes, except the bent wire has a Schaff split rubber mute removed =20
from its flat handle and installed on the wire (works great if you =20
put in the bends). The loop in the bent wire seems to let the wire =20
flex a bit over time without breaking.

Kent

=EF=BF=BC

=EF=BF=BC
On Jul 4, 2005, at 8:03 AM, Farrell wrote:

> I have been getting mine from Pianotek - page D-7 #MF-2M & #MF-2L. =20
> Below is a picture of the mutes I use on a grand piano for tuning =20
> (oops - and my key whacker).
>
> <009101c58098$c53709b0$0201a8c0>
>
> The three mutes on the left are the #MF-2M - the top one has been =20
> shortened for use in the bass (and sanded for a finer entry point). =20=

> I also use it and the two longer ones on the left at the struts (I =20
> use the two longer ones together to go between the strut and string =20=

> - I've been thinking of just gluing them together to have one nice =20
> thick one). The two on the left are #MF-2L (cut in half length-=20
> wise) and I use them for all plain wires except the notes adjacent =20
> to struts (sometimes on the treble strut they work fine because the =20=

> space is small between the strut and the string). I find these =20
> smaller mutes great for the plain wires because you can remove and =20
> insert them more quickly than the bigger mutes.
>
> I also use the #MF-2M (lower left) uncut for wound strings on all =20
> vertical pianos - and in the tenor on a tall upright where there is =20=

> room to use it.
>
> Sometimes these felt mutes get a bit floppy - I've been thinking of =20=

> juicing them with a hammer-hardener solution. Haven't tried it yet =20
> though, but thinkin'.......
>
> Terry Farrell
>
> > Where does one find these gems?
> >
> > Phil Ryan