Papp's mute/wedge

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Mon, 04 Jul 2005 18:18:37 -0300

I use the other end of the Papp's mute, to hold the jack back on an upright, when replacing a butt. It lets you get at the head of the screw easier.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Michael Gamble
  To: Wayne Walker ; pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Monday, July 04, 2005 2:29 PM
  Subject: Re: Papp's mute/wedge

  Hello List and Wayne who was resourceful enough to use his Papps wedge as a pair of tweezers. Right on, I've frequently had to resort to that so we're on the same wavelength. In fact it's when the Papps wedge itself falls into the action I resort to using my spare one for that same purpose. You get these "shootist" pianos that shoot the Papps out at you...
  Q. What to do with the broken Papps wedges?
  A. Two things spring to mind:
  1. Wait until you have two broken Papps wedges where there are two complementary halves which are OK and make up one useful one
  2. Use them in the greenhouse as a mini dibber pricking out for seedlings.... (I have one in my greenhouse!)
  Any other suggestions?
  Regards from a sun, hail, rain and then sun again Sussex village in  the Downs
  Michael G.(UK)