Energy

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 07:49:50 +1000

At 11:59 AM -0500 4/7/05, Andrew Anderson wrote:

>. . . Above all do not put those new fluorescent bulbs everywhere.
>That is one of the biggest scams going.  They use as much energy in
>the split second the ballast gets the light going as a comparable
>incandescent does in ~two & a half hours.

Hi Andrew and all,

Some time ago, after hearing this oft' repeated assertion that
flouro's use a lot of power to start, I decided to test the claim for
myself.

I have a clamp meter at the workshop for testing the loading of AC
electric motors running air compressors etc. With the clamp meter set
on the most sensitive setting (I can't remember the full-scale amp
setting but it was certainly adequate for the task) I found that
flouro's don't use more power to start than when they are running. So
feel free to use them as energy savers, but don't run them over
rotating machinery. The strobe lighting effect can make a rotating
and dangerous machine look like its stationary. The newer high
efficiency flouro's don't suffer from this problem because they can
be cycling at up to 25k, as opposed to the older styles which run at
the 50 or 60 hz of the power grid supply.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers