Energy

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Mon, 04 Jul 2005 23:31:09 -0700

At 07:49 AM 7/5/2005 +1000, Ron wrote:
>The strobe lighting effect can make a rotating and dangerous machine look
>like its stationary. The newer high efficiency flouro's don't suffer from
>this problem because they can be cycling at up to 25k, as opposed to the
>older styles which run at the 50 or 60 hz of the power grid supply.

Hello, Ron. I recently replaced some fluorescent fixtures built into my
kitchen ceiling, containing six fluorescent tubes. They were humming, and
some were a different hue from
the others. I replaced them with the electronic type. Are these the ones
which cycle to 25k?
I found that the hum disappeared completely, the light was pleasant and
white like daylight, but on some TV stations I got little white
interference lines when the lights were on.

I'm keeping the old ballasts and tubes in the garage till the disposal
company has a hazardous waste day, because I heard they have mercury and
other bad stuff in them. Do you know if the modern types have as much
mercury or other toxics as the old kinds?

They're very nice on dark rainy winter mornings. You turn on the light, and
it looks like
a skylight on a bright sunny day.

Susan