Reading a dial gauge

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:21:24 -0700

At 03:03 PM 7/5/2005 -0700, David wrote:
>So I picked up this dial gauge from Schaff and I'm not really sure how it
>works.

One takes this for granted, but just in case -- you do understand that you
have
to zero the thing out before you use it? You put it on a totally flat surface,
so that the three prongs are completely level (press down the center post
till it contacts the surface), then release the dial frame and
move it till it reads zero. (well, on mine I release the frame by
loosening a screw and move it till the needle shows zero.) Retighten the screw.

Then you take your reading off the bridge.

Well, you probably knew this already ...

Susan