Stretchy Strings

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 16:52:54 -0400

If I may make one change to your recommendation (likely what you meant): =
Change the "and" to "or" in the following statement:"plugging and =
redrilling the any really bad places (again, search archives with words =
"epoxy" "plug" "pinblock" "drill" etc.)  and   replacing the pins with =
4/0, perhaps."

If you are plugging, then go back to 2/0 or 1/0 pins. And I would =
recommend that if you do decide to plug, just plug the whole darn thing =
- then you have a new (-ish)pinblock with same-size pins and nice even =
torque.

Or, you can replace sections of pinblock.

Otherwise I agree with your suggestions.

Terry Farrell

  This little bird probably wants a new pinblock before she sings. =
That's not what is causing your current problem, but based on age, I'm =
guessing the pinblock issue will arise.

  The Chick Quarter is NOT the piano to cut your pinblock replacement =
teeth on--it's odd, angled, beveled, divided, and an all around =
sandpaper suppository. You'd need experienced help to replace it.=20

  If you do restring it and the block is not all split and cracked =
beyond salvage, I'd recommend running epoxy into it if there are cracks =
(see archives for methods), possibly plugging and redrilling the any =
really bad places (again, search archives with words "epoxy" "plug" =
"pinblock" "drill" etc.)  and replacing the pins with 4/0, perhaps. In =
any event, I'd get an experienced piano surgeon to at least look it over =
for you and advise.

  Alan Barnard
  Salem, Missouri

    Hello,  I haven't posted much here yet but I've been listening and =
learning.  This list is a great help to people new to this business.

    =20

    I've just had someone give me a chickering quarter grand.  I believe =
its from 1929 or around then.  When I went to do a pitch raise it seems =
that most of the strings reacted normally but I've gotten to one that I =
was able to turn the pin about 180 degrees and the pitch was not =
changing.  It seemed like it was only stretching a section of the string =
maybe?  The strings have not really been cared for and the inside of =
this piano really needs some tlc but I was wondering if this is a hint =
that the whole thing should be restrung (which I might attempt anyways) =
or if this is something I should worry about on a string by string =
basis.  Apparently their old tuner told them that he really didn't want =
to charge them for tunings anymore because this piano would not hold the =
tune.  When I saw it at their home some of the pins were very loose.  =
Now that it is in my garage (its been fairly humid here in CT) the pins =
are all at a normal tightness it seems.  I'm guessing this might of just =
been a result of dryness in their home?

    =20

    Any comments are appreciated.

    =20