Stretchy Strings

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 14:49:41 -0500

This little bird probably wants a new pinblock before she sings. That's not what is causing your current problem, but based on age, I'm guessing the pinblock issue will arise.

The Chick Quarter is NOT the piano to cut your pinblock replacement teeth on--it's odd, angled, beveled, divided, and an all around sandpaper suppository. You'd need experienced help to replace it.

If you do restring it and the block is not all split and cracked beyond salvage, I'd recommend running epoxy into it if there are cracks (see archives for methods), possibly plugging and redrilling the any really bad places (again, search archives with words "epoxy" "plug" "pinblock" "drill" etc.)  and replacing the pins with 4/0, perhaps. In any event, I'd get an experienced piano surgeon to at least look it over for you and advise.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: altieri
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 07/07/2005 9:10:31 AM
Subject: Stretchy Strings

Hello,  I haven’t posted much here yet but I’ve been listening and learning.  This list is a great help to people new to this business.

I’ve just had someone give me a chickering quarter grand.  I believe its from 1929 or around then.  When I went to do a pitch raise it seems that most of the strings reacted normally but I’ve gotten to one that I was able to turn the pin about 180 degrees and the pitch was not changing.  It seemed like it was only stretching a section of the string maybe?  The strings have not really been cared for and the inside of this piano really needs some tlc but I was wondering if this is a hint that the whole thing should be restrung (which I might attempt anyways) or if this is something I should worry about on a string by string basis.  Apparently their old tuner told them that he really didn’t want to charge them for tunings anymore because this piano would not hold the tune.  When I saw it at their home some of the pins were very loose.  Now that it is in my garage (its been fairly humid here in CT) the pins are all at a normal tightness it seems.  I’m guessing this might of just been a result of dryness in their home?

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Altieri