Spinet Bass String

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sat, 9 Jul 2005 23:02:06 -0700

In that situation it might be nice to have a universal string...I=
 don't even carry them myself, but I don't travel 50 miles for=
 one customer.   I'd really work on bass string splicing, if I=
 was you in that situation.   It isn't perfect either, but will=
 usually sound better than a universal.   Personally, I'd try to=
 see if I can get the damper to work adequately with the one=
 string (double string unison) and order the string and install=
 the next service.   Tough call no matter what.

David I.

Original message
From: Matthew Todd
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Spinet Bass String

I was just talking about replacing a few.  I did not realize that=
 customs don't cost that much more than universals.  So, let me=
 ask you....

What if you are replacing a bass string in a clients piano say 50=
 miles away.  You have your regular service charge.  So when you=
 go and get the old string out you must make another service call=
 once you have the duplicate string back.  That sounds a lot more=
 expensive to me.  Plus the extra charge for the distance.  I=
 don't get where a custom string is not that much more cost than=
 a universal.  Especially since I would also add the charges for=
 the shipping to and from the factory to get the string, etc. =
 What are your price differences between a single universal and=
 custom string replacement?  I am still working with setting=
 prices, so maybe I am missing a lot, but I would like to know=
 what.

Thanks!
Matthew

Avery Todd <avery1@houston.rr.com> wrote:
Matthew,

All the responses I've read notwithstanding, I got the impression=

from your post that
you were going to be replacing an entire set of bass strings? Did=
read you wrong?

If a set, yes, definitely remove the action with all warnings
necessary to the customer.
If only one or two, use the safety pin method someone mentioned.=
 It's
a great way to
replace one/two on any vertical. But universals????? :-( :-( :-(=
 They
don't cost all
"that" much to have them duplicated and you'll probably make up=
 the
difference in the
time saved from unwinding, cutting to length, etc. JMO.

Avery