Plate Horn

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:49:46 -0500

> The strut has a taper turned onto the two ends. The plate has a small
> countersunk hole drilled into the plate to locate the strut. The belly
> rail fitting is wound right in, the plate is fitted to the case, then
> the strut is positioned as the fitting is wound out to take up any lash.
> I don't pre-load it. The fitting is would out just enough to hold the
> strut in position. You'll notice that the sostenueto bracket has been
> shortened to allow enough space for the strut mount.
>
> Ron O.

Paranoid visions of some clown cranking the bolt in and out trying
to adjust crown and bearing aside, I think this is a very good idea.
The only reason I haven't done it yet, is my exploration of other
methods of achieving similar benefits that don't leave a tempting
"adjustment" visible to casual saboteurs. Having finally accumulated
enough alternatives for meaningful comparison I intend to try this,
or something very like it, on the next one.

Ron N