Bridges; was: Plate Horn

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:38:55 -0400

------=_NextPart_001_0014_01C5853B.92954D30
Re: Plate HornThanks Ron. I think the bridges will function very well, =
but I am aware that my hand notching skill leave a lot to be desired - I =
never have been one for art work and I know it shows. However, I will =
have my Ron-Nossaman-type notching machine built before I have to notch =
another bridge, so my notching results will make a quantum leap the next =
time I tackle this task!

One of the many things I really like about employing some of Del =
Fandrich's building techniques, is one's ability to toss out mysticism, =
replace it with engineering, measurements, and the ability to repeatedly =
check your work for accuracy as you proceed. The upper picture below is =
of the second treble (capo) section of the bridge on this Knabe I am =
working on. You can see that the cap is made up of six laminations. =
(Please ignore the crappy-looking notching.)

The picture below is up near the treble end of the long bridge. You can =
count eight laminations here. Somehow-or-other, and believe me I know =
not how, I measured everything, planed my bridge root down to the proper =
thickness, and epoxied on my bridge cap of uniform thickness. Then I =
went back and properly loaded the soundboard assembly to double-check =
things and found that the treble end of the long bridge was a couple =
millimeters too low. I have no idea how I screwed that up, but all the =
checking did allow me to simply build a new chunk of laminated cap, =
taper it from a couple millimeters thick to zero and epoxy that in =
place. Went back and checked resulting bridge height again and found =
that my down bearing targets were right on.

I realize you could do the same thing to a solid cap. But there are a =
number of unique processes employed here that allow these things to be =
measured much more accurately than traditional methods.

I can hardly wait for that notching machine!!!

Terry Farrell

  Re your other post you sent to show the drilling for vertical hitches. =
That looks to be a very nice bridge you've got sitting up there on the =
Knabe board. Nice work

  SNIP

  Ron O.
------=_NextPart_001_0014_01C5853B.92954D30