Steinway quality control problems---a possible solution !

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:00:47 -0400

Sarah, I think you and David are in agreement.  Larry Fine goes into detail
in his book about how he gathers his data, and like Consumer Reports, a
large database of repair history from a large northeast retailer goes into
it (covering thousands of pianos of different brands).  Variability of the
product is one assessment he makes, among many others.  It's not just
good/bad like a movie review; it lets people choose the right product for
the right situation (home, concert, casual use, rehearsal room).  See
http://pianobook.com.

It's just like the car service reps who, when confronted with an annoying
sound or behavior, say "They all do that".  I think it's the contrast
between that casual attitude and the rapturous mysticism of the sales floor
("Piano of the Immortals") that's frustrating with S&S (especially on a
$110,000 product!).  The trick is to get the service reps to say those
things next to a prospective customer...

--Cy--