Steinway quality control problems---a possible solution !

Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:12:48 -0400

Hi Sarah- (Amazing...in less than 1 day, the thread seems old)
As I had no thought that you felt any animosity towards Steinway (unless it
was anonymously or anomalously), I don't think I misunderstood your
intent.  Perhaps my own intent is a bit more subversive.  Unlike a car or a
computer, I don't think the question of the manufacturer's customer service
record should have that much to do with a piano purchase.  At a given price
range, a customer should be able to buy a piano for the way it sounds and
feels (and looks, I guess).  If those pianos have a history of falling
apart, then, of course, customers should be able to discover that, but
there is Larry Fine's series of publications, (frequently updated)  and
there are consultants available to customers.   Where I differ with you,
maybe, is in your belief that the changes in "design & manufacture", (by
which I assume you include quality control), would or should be generated,
or, as you say, "driven",  by sales.  I am not, in the present context,
particularly interested in the leverage that sales might have on the
company's motivation to establish and maintain  quality.  I AM interested
in the leverage that our little community here could, conceivably bring to
bear. Here are some statistics:

There are, currently 441 direct subscribers and 218 digest subscribers.
Total 659.  There are about 92 heavy contributors and around 175 medium to
light contributors. The remainder, I assume, are "read-only".   This may
not seem like a huge number,  but it is more than enough to begin a
process, though the outcome of such processes, once initiated, are not
always predictable.

I'm not looking for much.  All I want is to separate the excrement from
technical fact (or, at least, what stands as the body of accepted technical
fact), and I'd like to be able to count on ANYONE's warrantee to mean what
it says, and say what it means.

If statements like what David Renaud quoted are allowed to stand
unchallenged, they quickly gain currency as "accepted technical fact", as
though accompanied by that stalwart of all reassurance, "As seen on
TV".   On the other hand, if all other builders offer the same disclaimers,
should we expect anything different from this one?

David Skolnik