black finishing techniques

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:53:15 -0400

Dear wood finishing gurus,

I'm hoping y'all can give me a bit of advice.  I am wanting to use a =
tight-grained wood, such as poplar, and placing a thin, black, satin =
finish on it that shows the grain.  I'll be doing a lot of this work, so =
it would be great to avoid highly volatile lacquers and such, insofar as =
possible.  A local paint products manufacturer suggested an acrylic =
paint which I tried (skeptically).  As carefully as I apply it, it is =
still appears just a bit too "paint-ish."

Another tech on this list once suggested using black shoe dye on wood =
(for touching up the keysticks on the sharps), but I'm leary of dyes, =
considering the possibility that they might fade.  (Of course paint will =
do that too.)  Even so, one likely solution might be to dye the wood =
black and then use a wipe-on clear finish of some sort (water-based =
polyacrylic?), to achieve the right luster.  Potential problems include =
the dye absorbing deeper into the wood over time, leaving a lighter =
color and, as I said, a fading of the dye from light exposure.

Another possibility might be using India ink to color the wood.  India =
ink is pigment (soot/carbon) based and is probably therefore more immune =
to fade.  Unfortunately it's also rather expensive.

Do any of you know of a pigment-based colorant, perhaps carbon-based?  =
Have any of you made such a substance?

Any thoughts?  Suggestions?  Favorite products?

Thanks for your advice!!

Peace,
Sarah

PS The table saw and the dado set are working great.  I'm really putting =
together a nice looking product, after a lot of trial and error.