black finishing techniques

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:49:39 -0400

Hi Mark,

Cool stuff!  :-)  I'm not sure it's exactly what I was after, though.  =
Can the TransTint dyes make the wood completely black?  When I said I =
wanted to "show the grain," I was referring more to the thickness of the =
finish (i.e. texture) than the depth of the stain (i.e. color). =20

Someone suggested an "ebony" stain, made by Olympic, that is apparently =
quite black -- or perhaps an off-black.  That might work too.  Any =
thoughts about fading with this product???

And yes, I *am* concerned about lightfastness.  This stain will be used =
on a new "standard" frame stock that I am developing for my photography. =
 (Sorry, it's not a piano!  <blush>)  I don't know where my customers =
will be hanging these things or how they'll be treating them.  I go =
through great pains to make sure my printed images are as lightfast as =
possible (lasting a century or more in normal interior lighting without =
any noticeable fade.  I need to take the same measures with the frame =
stock.

Thanks for indulging me me on this general wood finishing question, =
especially since I'm not applying this technique to a piano.  Then =
again, I have a very large, very ugly brown piano that will soon get =
refinished in black lacquer, so I'll be asking some more piano-related =
refinishing advice then.  ;-)

Thanks!

Peace,
Sarah