black finishing techniques

Mark Potter bases-loaded76@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:49:19 -0700 (PDT)

Sarah Fox <sarah@graphic-fusion.com> wrote: When I said I wanted to "show the grain," I was referring more to the thickness of the finish (i.e. texture) than the depth of the stain (i.e. color).

OK... then if I understand you (maybe not) you want the wood completely black, as in opaque, but you want the surface of the film to show grain, as opposed to a grain-filled, perfectly flat surface.  Right?  Am I getting warm? ;-)

If that is the case, it would seem the choice of poplar somewhat complicates achieving this desired result, despite its many virtuous qualities otherwise.  Poplar has virtually NO perceivable grain - well, VERY little - so whatever coating you put on there will have to be mighty thin to show any texture from the poplar.  Do you want a sheen of any kind, or flat, with no build?  Perhaps a water-based product will accentuate what grain there is by swelling the poplar a bit.  What about black acrylic latex paint - one coat, two coats tops, with the first one thinned a bit?

Ya got me!

Mark