Grand action shift spring too stiff

tom driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:11:31 -0400

Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 7:48 PM
Subject: Grand action shift spring too stiff

> List -
>
> Any reminders as to the best way to reduce the stiffness of the Steinway
> shift spring?  Should it be heated?  annealed and retempered? hit with a 2
> lb hammer?  I know I've done it in the past, but not recently enough.
> Thanks.
>
> David Skolnik

    David,
    Kent Webb @Tech services - Steinway had me weaken the spring by bending.
    I placed it on a scrap of plywood covered the spring with a piece of
leather and wacked it with a 2 lb sledge . Took two or three  tries to get
it right
    This was a 1980's B and the pianist had to practically stand up to move
that keyframe.
    Tom Driscoll RPT