Finishing

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:37:27 -0400

Joe!!!

My piano was a work piano.  It looks as though the Radio City Music Hall =
Rockettes danced on it, and that's just the lid.  The veneer is gouged, =
banged, chipped, and battered.  One leg is so trashed that the only =
remedy is to replace it (and probably the other two with it, since =
they're not so pretty either).  When my ex drove our car through the =
garage door, scratching every square inch of the body, it looked in far =
better shape than the case of my piano, and the car was totalled!  =
Seriously, approx. 75% of the piano would need to be relaminated.  And =
yes, I know how to pop scratches and depressions with steam, and that's =
not going to do it.

... but she sings real pretty!  :-)

Don't worry, though.  There's nothing particularly exotic about the =
veneer anyway.  This is 1933 styling -- clean, simple lines.  I think =
it's mahogany -- plain, straight grain, nothing inlaid, nothing =
particularly exciting.  Well, they did attach the edge band veneer on =
the lid with a vertical grain, which looks pretty cool.  Of course that =
also made it easier for the Rockettes to chip off.  :-(

But I appreciate your concern!  I wouldn't do it if the case could be =
refinished any other way.  I knew when I bought the piano that it could =
only be ebony.  But of course black *is* a concert color, and this *is* =
a concert instrument.  Nothin' inappropriate here.  ;-)

Peace,
Sarah

PS I've got a gallon of some white Imron...  ;-)   (Just wanted to make =
ya' squirm, Joe!  I hate white pianos probably as much as you hate black =
ones.  :-P~~~~~)

  ----- Original Message -----=20