black finishing techniques

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 06:32:55 -0500

Why not use maple as your wood?  I would try India ink myself.  You can =
buy it in quarts.

Jim
James Grebe
Piano-Forte Tuning & Repair
Creator of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups, piano benches, writing =
instruments
(314) 608-4137
WWW.JamesGrebe.com
1526 Raspberry Lane
Arnold, MO 63010
BECOME WHAT YOU BELIEVE!
pianoman@accessus.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Sarah Fox=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 9:10 PM
  Subject: Re: black finishing techniques

  Hi Mark and list,

  You've got it right, as to what I'm trying to achieve.  You are also =
right that poplar has almost no grain, which was why I selected it.  (I =
thought the finish I wanted would be completely smooth, but that would =
end up being too much work on a mass production basis.  What I noticed =
is that the light grain of the poplar actually doesn't look bad -- or =
wouldn't look bad if I could find the optimal finish.  I'll also be =
testing red oak for a coarser grain look.  This may ultimately be a =
better choice, albeit more expensive by about $2 per frame.  I'll be =
after a light sheen (satin).  I've tried the acrylic latex, BTW, and it =
just doesn't look right.

  As Joe said, it's an experimentation thingie, and I'm in the =
experimental stages.  I was simply hoping for some advice about =
lightfastness and did get some helpful tips off list.  (I'll reply to =
those shortly.)  Anyway, I've got enough to keep me busy for a while, =
and I thank y'all for the advice! :-)

  Peace,
  Sarah

    ----- Original Message -----=20