Laminated Bridge Caps; was: Bridges; was: Plate Horn

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:47:41 -0400

------=_NextPart_001_003B_01C587E3.BAE98800
Hi Dale,

The lamination thickness is the key here. If you want to order laminated =
capping material, just let me know that you will be notching by hand, =
and I will be sure to make the cap out of quarter-sawn laminations that =
are about 1-1/2 millimeters thick - that way your chisel only has to =
breach only one or two epoxy layers. It keeps it quite manageable that =
way. For hand notching, I make up caps like that pictured below (notice =
the virtually perfect quarter sawing).

Terry Farrell

      Terry
    Cause if I order some from you I just wanted to know. I thought =
perhaps the epoxy glue lams might be part of the difficulty.Your =
notching looks fine & adequaate for the purpose intended. As I tell all =
my rookies "this too is an acquired skill" ,but they hear that all the =
time
    Dale

    Why do you ask - does my notching look THAT bad?

    But, 1) because I have no talent whatsoever for hand notching, and =
2) because I wish to explore building harder bridge caps in the future, =
I think a good notching machine will benefit me immensely. I want to try =
building caps using thinner laminations and possibly harder material.

    Terry Farrell
------=_NextPart_001_003B_01C587E3.BAE98800
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------=_NextPart_001_003B_01C587E3.BAE98800--