Soundboard fish

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:30:47 -0700

Tom,

I started using the fish back in the days when I was transitioning from mostly
compression-crowned soundboard systems to rib-crowned systems. I've been pleased
enough with the results to have continued using for many years.

It seemed apparent that much of the time-related tone loss of the conventional
compression-crowned soundboard system was related to the time-dependent
compression loss within the soundboard panel and that that might be related to
the excessive size of the soundboard through roughly the upper third of the
scale.

I had recently rebuilt a couple of older grands having multi-part or built-up
rims which had much smaller soundboard areas through this region and yet had
very clean and powerful-sounding treble sections. I decided to try to duplicate
this size and shape in pianos using continuous-bent rims. I did this with what I
now call the "fish."

It does just what I had hoped it would do. It eliminates a lot of the excess
soundboard area (an area which is full of extraneous and, to my ear at least,
unwanted, soundboard resonances) and makes the area that remains more controlled
and efficient.

Del

  _____