room climate control

Piano Forte Supply pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:05:15 -0700

> Jurgen:        Why do you think that the humidity needs to be
> controlled? It seems that it would be pretty constant in the basement.
> I'd leave it alone.
> Greg Newell

There are a number of good reasons:

    * There can be little question that the best climate scenario for a
      piano is, for it to be in a space where the temperature and
      humidity are within the ranges that are healthy for it.
    * I believe trying to create and maintain a "micro climate" inside
      the piano is a second choice to putting the piano into a stable
      climate situation
    * In this piano's case, the action centers are also getting
      sluggish.  Will the heater bar under the soundboard cure that?
    * Climate situations that are healthy for pianos are also healthier
      for people - think of the the problems associated with low or
      humidity for people - everything from respiratory problems related
      to dust & mites, static electricity,  mold spores, it goes on and on.
    * In the basement studio, it is possible to control the environment
      with a marginal effort, (as opposed to, say, a church sanctuary,
      institution, etc.
    * I think it can be done for a lower investment than the full blown,
      double whammy DC with belly cloth and all else than has been
      suggested.

Jurgen Goering
www.pianofortesupply.com