Unusual Piano Actions

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:10:55 -0300

Hi Kenny,
Would that have been a Gourlay?
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kenny Finlayson
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 8:55 PM
  Subject: Unusual Piano Actions

  A circa 1940's GOULAY. There was a butt assy at the break where some guy had inserted an oversize pin and split the wood of the butt assembly where the flange meets. The problem was that the angle of the hammer shank was such that the butt was irreplaceable.
  There was one butt assy that I had in my plethora that was close.
  I sawed off the protrusion of the hole that bridles the bridle tape, reamed the hole in the butt to about a 35 degree angle, used epoxy with a hammer shank shim on the open hole on the striking side, and it worked beautifully.

  Kenny F#