Piano Design Question

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:31:50 -0700

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Farrell
Sent: July 14, 2005 3:35 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Piano Design Question

My understanding is that the bass/tenor area of the typical modern grand piano
soundboard poses a challenge from the design standpoint because in pretty much
the same location you want a very flexible soundboard for the bass and a stiffer
soundboard for the lower tenor. This necessitates compromise.

Yes - is that true?

It's partly true. The soundboard assembly has to be relatively stiff (assuming
you want reasonable sustain) but must still have a fairly high degree of
mobility. In other words, you either want the bass bridge to be located rather
far from the inner rim or you're going to have to float something.

Wouldn't a straight-strung arrangement work better? Seems to me that designing a
piano with performance being the #1 criteria, a straight strung (or parallel or
whatever - you know what I mean) arrangement would offer the designer the luxury
of designing the soundboard to meet the needs of the various sections of the
string scale - and not having to make the same area suit two different needs.

Flat stringing (almost, but not quite, the same as straight stringing) makes
more sense for longer pianos than it does for short ones. With short scales
there can be a substantial string length advantage down in the lower bass with
overstringing. This advantage is diminished to the point of silliness once the
overall length of the piano gets much above 6' (183 cm) or so.

And, yes, designing an acoustically balanced bridge system is much easier with a
flat-strung string dispersion. As is ribbing, action and key layout, plate
struts, etc.

Now keep in mind that I ask this question strictly from the performance
(musical) standpoint and not the standpoint of how well a design might sell. I
believe it is the case that one can design a piano with longer bass strings for
a given piano length with an overstrung design - if the marketing department is
put in charge of piano design. I'm talking about eliminating the marketing
department and the accounting department and just dealing with how to build the
most acoustically pleasing piano. (I know, silly idea.) Now rememeber - no
marketing - we can make the case ANY shape we want (we don't have to have a flat
side on the bass side)!

Without having to concern yourself with factory sales, would you rather design a
straight-strung or overstrung piano? Which approach give the designer more
freedom to design an optimal piano?

Well, either approach is going to demand some compromises. I guess it depends on
which set of compromises you are most comfortable with. The piano we're getting
ready to build will be over-strung. Kind of. But it's only 6' 7" (200 cm) and I
am interested in selling them. Were I designing a 9' (275 cm) grand for myself I
might do things differently.

Del