Piano Design Question

Calin Tantareanu calin.tantareanu@gmx.net
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:54:24 +0300

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 1:34 AM
  Subject: Piano Design Question

  FWIW: Seems to me that straight-strung offers significant design =
benefits because each area of the string scale occupies a unique area of =
the soundboard - and hence that area of the soundboard can be designed =
to optimize the performance of that area of the string scale.

  Terry Farrell
Seems to me that your assumption is quite correct. i have wondered about =
the same things for some time and reached similar conclusions. A =
straight strung piano should work very well.
If piano length is of no importance (within reasonable limits), the all =
the arguments for the overstrung scale seem to have little value. One =
can make a straight (parallel, or oblique) strung design with the =
bridges placed in such a way that the flexibility of the soundboard is =
optimal for each part. The end of the bass bridge doesn't need to sit =
close to the rim like in many old stright strung pianos. Or if it does, =
one can just float the soundboard there. It's been done before and it =
works.
Anyway, it seems possible to make good pianos both ways.
By the way, look at the Klavins upright which has a single bridge.

 Calin Tantareanu
 http://calintantareanu.tripod.com