Vertical tuning pins on upright

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:42:46 +0100

Absolutely right, John. The conditions I was referring to was that in an =
earlier thread where many listers had debated whether, in fact, tuning =
pins did turn on their own, and it was this which caused pianos to go =
out of tune. I simply jumped on the band-wagon of having, in these =
"adjusters", irrefutable proof that this must indeed be the case! :-)
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: John Fortiner=20
  To: 'Michael Gamble'=20
  Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2005 3:31 PM
  Subject: RE: Vertical tuning pins on upright

  I can't see (read "imagine") these screw mechanisms turning on their =
own.  The must have a lot of help from the special tuning "lever" (a T =
design) that is/was provided with the instrument.  I've only tuned 4 or =
5 of them, and each time it has been 3 or more years between tunings.  =
All they really needed was a "slight tweaking" and, in a lot of cases, =
many of the wires were right where they belonged - in spite of going =
through seasonal changes (aka soundboard expansion and collapse).  I've =
never marked one of the screws to see if it really turns, but I =
seriously doubt that they do on their own.

  One thing I do know for sure - they are a total pain you-know-where to =
replace wire on.

  John Fortiner
  Billings, MT. USA