Capstan Removal/Install Tool

John Fortiner JLFortiner@usadig.com
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:17:33 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: David Love [mailto:davidlovepianos@comcast.net]
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2005 9:25 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Capstan Removal/Install Tool

Attached are the pictures of the tools that I use.  The bent wire one is
made from a coathanger and is inserted into a cordless drill that will both
install and remove capstans with holes in them.  It gets a bit bent out of
shape if you encounter very tight fitting capstans so you just make another
one.  The other one is made from a small #8 Do you mean 8 mm per chance
rather than #8????

John Fortiner
Billings, MT.

wrench that I cut off one end and drilled a hole through.  Added a loose
fitting knob the rotates freely in the hole.  This I use for removing old
style Steinway hex capstans.