the future of piano study

Tom Servinsky tompiano@bellsouth.net
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:21:44 -0400

I can't speak for our neck of the woods ( S. Florida). All of our piano =
teachers are carrying full loads plus huge waiting lists for any future =
openings.   Piano lessons are going strong and parents are most =
enthusiastic of the benefits pianos lessons provide. In addition I'm =
seeing a lot of the high school students going to the symphony concerts =
as dates instead of the parting down the block.
Tom Servinsky
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Blackstone Piano=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 7:02 PM
  Subject: the future of piano study

  I'm curious to know what other piano tuners think about the future of =
piano study.  I can only guess that the number of children who studied =
piano 100 years ago versus today is staggering.  I've seen some figures =
on the decline of piano sales as each decade passes, and that is a =
telling indicator. =20

  I'm not a cynic by nature, and I am not overly concerned about the end =
of our profession coming too soon.  Still, I do think about it and =
wonder if other piano tuners are concerned.  Will the number of piano =
students continue to decline, or slow to a steady number of new students =
each year?  Is it possible in this day of sports, video games, TV, the =
Internet, and a million other activities, to reverse this trend?  What =
would it take to make this happen?  Should/what should we as piano =
tuners be doing more to try and reverse this trend?  I came across an =
interesting speech from Brian Chung, the senior vice president and =
general manager of Kawai America Corporation: =
http://www.pianonet.com/articles/artofwar.htm

  I'm just curious what other people think about this.

  Thanks,
  Colin McCullough

  please visit the McCullough Tuning Tutorial, a free online resource =
for learning how a piano is tuned.
  www.blackstonepiano.com/tutorial/tutorial.htm