the future of piano study

David Andersen david@davidandersenpianos.com
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:13:51 -0700

> I can't speak for our neck of the woods ( S. Florida). All of our piano
> teachers are carrying full loads plus huge waiting lists for any future
> openings.   Piano lessons are going strong and parents are most enthusias=
tic
> of the benefits pianos lessons provide. In addition I'm seeing a lot of t=
he
> high school students going to the symphony concerts as dates instead of t=
he
> parting down the block.
> Tom Servinsky

Hi---read the article; don=B9t like his =B3war=B2 metaphor or approach, but agree
100% about not leaching the fun out of stuff. My experience is as Tom=B9s
above---lotta teachers, lotta students, a big interest in all forms of musi=
by kids, no perception of the piano as doomed or endangered.  At the High
End, where I practice piano technology, business is always good, and people
always love their pianos.
I have a 14 y.o.; my sweetheart=B9s got a 16 y.o.; they=B9re open to anything,
and both have what we used to call =B3big ears---=B2 they can hear beauty in
many different musical genres, and they trust their feelings about what the=
like and don=B9t like.

I think people that are worried all the time about =B3kids today=B2 and come
from a general atmosphere of =B3we have to save our kids, and WE know what=B9s
best for them=B2 are working themselves into a snit, as my Mom used to say.
Treat your own child, and the children around your child, with respect.
Listen to them. Don=B9t patronize them. Look at their stunning beauty rather
than at what=B9s =B3wrong=B2 with them.
Remember how you were at that age.  Try not to be a hypocrite.

End of mild rant.

Xxooxo,
David Andersen